Friday, February 17, 2012

Day of Rest

My goodness its been awhile since I've done a real post! I have to say I've just been too tired. Work has kept me super busy since the New Year and I've had more nights than not where Richard has had to come to the office and literally pry me away from my desk. Heck, last Friday he had to drive me home because I was too tired to drive...we just left my car at the office all weekend and I didn't see it again until he dropped me off at work Monday morning. Considering that he's doing this after he gets off work, and that I went to work a good 4 hours before he did...well...I am sure you can work out the math for yourselves on that one. Loads of hours for multiple weeks = Bone. Weary. Tired. The kind of tired that leaves you numb at times, headachy a lot and a mega witch 24/7 long before the end. Richard has put up with a lot from me lately, and bless him he still loves me.

I was supposed to have a half-day off yesterday but I ended up staying until after hours again...this time only by an hour though. Richard was waiting for me to come home so he could take me out for dinner as we were celebrating Valentines Day a little late this year. Partially because I asked if we could because I had a bit of a breakdown when he stopped by on Tuesday to meet the delivery driver who was bringing my flowers. There's my Beloved, happily arranging flowers and I fall into pieces: I burst into tears and literally went into hysterics over how tired I was (last week was over 60 hours...I was so tired that I couldn't even sleep...which is never a good thing). Thankfully there weren't customers at that time as I admit I was yelling and cursing a blue streak and sobbing in-between, which was NOT a pretty picture. Richard walked over and held me and let me sob into his shoulder for a few minutes until I gathered myself back together. Poor guy has been so worried about me lately. He's interrupted his day of Geekdom to text me several times to be sure I am still doing okay.

So last night we went out and, even though I was still very tired we went to dinner and wandered a bit before heading home. Richard took me to Barnes and Noble where I picked up a couple new magazines and I let him geek out and buy some new dice and a bag for them at the local RPG shop that he likes to go to (honestly some of those dice are really pretty and he's already bought me two sets that I oohed and aahed over). In a side note...dinner was actually funny, because I had a buy-1-get-1 coupon for Mimis, so decided to give them another try rather than go to the retro diner we had considered. I ordered a fish and chips dinner that came with a couple of pieces of shrimp and was appalled when I tried the fish and realized that haddock is a nasty tasting piece of business. The waitress whisked it away and I was able to exchange it for a very wicked piece of Cheesecake Factory Red Velvet Cheesecake. So we were joking for the rest of the evening about my shrimp and cheesecake dinner. In all fairness, I'd really already filled up on the sampler plate of hummus, artichoke dip and zucchini spears anyway, so it wasn't a completely horrible meal...okay, yeah it was, but it still made us laugh. I don't feel like I've been laughing much lately, so it was nice to have something to joke about.

So today. Today has been wonderful. I sent Richard off to SLC early this morning for a gamers convention (Happy Valentines Baby!) and I have the house to myself. I spent the morning just surfing the net (mostly on Etsy :D) and then I cleaned up the kitchen and started dinner. I would have sworn I had a corned beef brisket in the freezer but it wasn't there, so we're having crockpot chicken and dumplings instead. I really need to go to the store, but decided that it will wait until tomorrow... its not like we're desperate for anything, and today is a day for me to not have to answer to anyone but myself. Actually, the only thing I really want right now from the store is a soda, but I know I am far better off drinking water right now. I was fueling myself with loads of sugar and caffeine and I am sure that helped with the meltdown. No, I think today will be much better spent at home. If I feel like doing a load of laundry and then reading a bit before doing another load, then that's what I am going to do. Actually, a load of darks just ended, so now I am off to start on the bedding!

I've had to keep reminding myself that I still have two more days off before I go back to work... my brain keeps wanting me to rush. rush. rush and get more things done now. now. now. I just shove it back into neutral and cruise along, straightening this, cleaning that, and then sitting down to look up some random question that popped into mind. As nice as it is to have the time today, I still am not fully synced into relaxing yet. I do have a few songs I want to download today (including the song below, thanks to Cassandra who posted in on her blog), and it would be nice to unpack some more fabric in the craft room/office today. I may watch a movie, I may not. Its kind of nice actually not having the tv on, and just keeping the house quiet.

So what's on the agenda for tomorrow? More of the same I'm sure... I'll finish up whatever doesn't get done today (like the vacuuming...Richard disassembled the vacuum to clean it and I can't figure out how to put it back again, so I'll have him fix it for me and I'll sweep up in the morning) I'll do some shopping (I want to get some almond paste because I have been craving Neapolitans for awhile now but no bakery around here seems to make them). Oops, just read the recipe and they will have to wait as I am not about to whip egg whites by hand! I will probably go to the library for a couple of things, and then just come home and bake and relax. Who knows. As far as I am concerned this weekend is all about getting myself back to a point where I am not flying off the handle over every little thing.

Man I hate feeling like I am a witch...


♥Miya said...

He went to a convention and you didn't go??? Well, if it was for tabletop games, I can understand... glad you took a day off. If you're getting bitchy and crying at the drop of a hat, then you definitely need to be sleeping better! This happens to me, too, if I go too many days relying on processed snacks and a few hours of shut-eye. Shame about the haddok... I've been places where the fish and chips are amazing, and then you go next door and order the same thing, only you end up wanting to suggest they buy their fish where their neighbors do...

I actually heard a song by Gotye the first time this morning on Pandora while I was cleaning, I really like his voice!

♥Miya said...

Oh, the song I heard was "Eyes Wide Open". I love his voice :)

Shawna said...

It was a small, local convention for tabletop and RPG games... and he needed a break from my witchiness as much as I needed a break from the rest of the world. I'm glad he was able to get out and have a good time.

Danielle said...

No fun to be so stretched thin that you can't function correctly. I had a week like that, but fortunatly I was able to talk my boss into letting me have 8.5 hour days instead of the 15 hours that everyone else was putting in. Which is good, since I'm a swollen cow and having contractions like mad.
I hope you were able to relax enough this weekend and start work refreshed!!