Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Guaranteed to bring a smile....

I drive a yellow Beetle.... bright, sunny.... which suits me rather well.  

Daisy Jane came to me with a black bra attached and I saw no reason to remove it.  It adds a certain "who is that masked car?" flair, and with all the yellow Beetles on the road, it helps me to identify her in the parking lot.

This is not Daisy Jane, but it looks pretty close to her.  Image shamelessly borrowed from the internet.

My brother-in-law kindly offered to replace my headlight bulbs for me (basically I think he noticed the "deer-in-the-headlights" look I was sporting when I thought I was going to have to do it myself) and, while my sisters and I were visiting, he went out to go do the task.

My sister happened to glance out the window to see how her husband was doing, and made a comment about the state of my car.... one that, while humorous, I wasn't sure if I could believe it.  Sure enough, checking later, she was right.

Flash forward a few days later.

I was climbing out of my car at a local grocery store when the gal parked across from me called out, "That is the brightest, yellowest, cheeriest thing I have seen in a long time". 

I smiled, thought back to my sister's comment the other day, and replied, "Yes, but she has a dark secret.  You see, she doesn't like to go out without her bra on, and now she has tan lines."

This stranger looked at me, looked back at Daisy Jane and then burst out with the wildest laughter I have ever heard.  We're talking head thrown back, and the noise levels high enough that half of the parking lot probably could hear.  

Smiling, and happy that I made someone laugh, I wished her a good day and went inside the store to run my brief errand.

It was only about five minutes later that I came back out and found that she was still there, glancing at my car, shaking her head and still chuckling.

"I just had to let you know", she told me, "that I will be laughing about this all day."  With that she thanked me, and then watched me drive away... still chuckling.

Its been nearly a week since that day, and I wonder about that woman... while I am happy that a random comment brightened her day, I hope that she is doing well and that her life is happy.  You can never tell with people what will lift their hearts from whatever troubles them in life, and I hope that I keep this simple lesson in mind and never fail to do my part to be kind to those around me.

Even if it is only one small, shared joke between strangers.

Comic courtesy of halfbaked.com


No comments: