Saturday, August 29, 2009

The road not taken

I was goofing off online, looking up people I knew on Facebook and followed a link to MySpace to check up on a gal I knew back in high school.

Oh. My. Holy. Crap.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me, considering what type of girl she was in the way back when but still.....tattoos across her cleavage.....close-ups of her rack before and after the reduction....other tats*, lip rings, etc all over the place. Foul comments back and forth between her and her "friends" about the look of her body parts and other such conversational show-stoppers. She jokes about how she looks younger than she really is but, in truth, she looks like she has been chewed up and then spit back out. The biggest shock came when I realized one of the commenters on her "new rack" was her own son!

It made me feel sick.

The sad thing is I really was impressed with this girl in high school. Probably because I was so sheltered but I thought she was tough and cool and (I hate to admit it) but she had the most colorful language I'd know up until then....I wanted to be tough and cool too. I wasn't always comfortable being with her, but I still looked up to her.

Thank goodness for naivety and the fact that I didn't really know what I was playing with....and even more thanks for not following that path myself.

It makes me grateful for who and what I am. I am far from perfect....but I like who I have grown to be over the years. ...shortcomings and all.

*disclaimer: I am not saying tattoos and lip rings make you a bad person... but who really wants to see an aging woman with multiple lip and eyebrow rings flashing her "naughty" tattoos all over the internet?

No comments: