Monday, December 14, 2009

There he goes.....

As I type this my car has just gone by...strapped to the back of a tow truck.

I am car-less. Without wheels. Unable to do a darn thing about it.

Long story short....had a gal back into my car in a parking lot in the wee hours of Saturday morning. She whammed my car pretty good while I, in typical slow-mo dream fashion, watched from across the 7-11 parking lot. I got her information and then drove my car home....the damage didn't look TOO bad....though I will definately need to replace that bumper it wasn't crumpled...just gouged, chipped and cracked. It misfired on the way home but, as it was cold out I didn't really pay an excessive amount of attention to it. As I didn't need to be anywhere this weekend I stayed home Saturday and Sunday and worked on coding homework (while rotting my brain out with about a jillion movies playing in the background).

This morning was another story. Chipped a weekend's accumulation of crusted snow from my car and headed for work. Hmmmm, I thought. Must be really slick out because I am just not getting out of the driveway quick and the car felt....funny. A few blocks later it began misfiring like crazy, lugging and the check engine light was blinking madly as if its very life depended on it. By this time I was already pulling onto Center Street and halfway to work (thankfully I live a short mile from work!) so I continued on my way, hoping and praying I wasn't doing further damage to whatever was gasping its last under the hood.

My dealership agreed that driving to Bountiful was just not an option so they sent a tow truck. As we speak my car is Northbound on a tow bed on I-15.

I miss my car already.

The dealership says if its going to be a few days that they will work some way out so I can get a rental, preferably without having to get a ride up there. The wuss in me is hoping that whenever the car is done that the roads will be good....and if not, wondering if they will deliver.

Seriously, I hate the Interstate in the winter.

Still waiting to hear back from the insurance claims department about my bumper. I am not sure if the engine has anything to do with the accident since, as I said, I didn't see any crumpling, but then what do I know?

Oh, and I still haven't located my camera. I've chalked it up as good and lost, but still find myself looking around in sections of the house I have already covered several times over. Why do I think its good and lost? My trunk was open a crack at the grocery store last week and I have decided I must've hit the button in error as I headed into the store and someone took advantage of that to snag a free camera. Regardless, its my own fault and I will have to start saving to get a replacement.

I feel strange without my camera...and stranger without my car.

On the plus side, while pulling out some "essentials" from my car (since who knows how long the dealer with be playing with it) I found the sync cable for my mp3 player. I'd been looking around for that for about 2 weeks with no luck.

I guess every cloud has a silver lining in it somewhere.

3 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

Sorry to hear about the predicament. If you need a ride or anything, let me know...

I know how that feels, to see your car being taken away on a tow truck.

mywest said...

Sweetheart,
Sounds like it could be the timing chain. I know on my Beetle the timing chain also runs the water pump that seems to go out around 80-100,000 miles. If this is whats happening good thing its covered because it could cost around $700.00 to replace timing chain and water pump. When the timing chain jumps just a few teeth the car starts running very bad......

mywest said...

Then again maybe the distributor (where the spark plug wires come from)was just loose and rotated a little...this also would do this and its a simple fix....