Saturday, July 12, 2008

Shawna's Summer Movie Review #3


Okay....I was all ready to expect some silliness here and yes I got it (more on that in a moment). What I was not prepared for was the amazing 3D effects. Some (Brendan Fraser spitting his toothpaste out) has you thinking "ewwwwwwwww" while others (dandelion fluffs that float right past you) had to wanting to reach out and touch them. This is DEFINATELY a theater experience as I think you would lose a lot of the effects on the small screen.

Back to the silliness: okay, parts of this movie will have you laughing along, others will have you jump in your seat, and a few will probably have you groaning aloud over how improbable the storyline really is. The thing is you really don't pay attention to some storyline flaws because you are having so much fun along the way. There is, however, one definate Indiana Jones homage (actually done better than the original) but I will allow you to find that one on your own.

Oh, be sure to get there early as the previews are in 3D as well which was a lot of fun!

All in all? I will definately see it in the theater again (my friend Tara wasn't able to go with me last night) and I will probably get the DVD since it really was a fun little trip into a fantasy world.

3 comments:

Yancy said...

Just wanted to make sure you know that you can only see it in 3D in the theater (at least for now) due to the technology behind how they do it.

The dvd will just be like a normal movie. Not sure if that changes your decision on owning the dvd or not.

Teachinfourth said...

I saw the preview and was thinking that I wouldn't go see it. Panda, on the other hand, was BRILLIANT!

shoezimm said...

Yancy,
I was wondering about the 3D due to the new format....I don't know if they would reformat it into standard 3D for the DVD release or not but you would lose most the movie's impact if it were only available in 2D. The studio would also have to cut some shots that are obviously just for the 3D effect (like snapping a yo-yo out towards the audience). I wouldn't buy it if it were only available in the 2D format