Saturday, July 12, 2008

Shawna's Summer Movies Review #2


Three little words: GO SEE IT.

The one liners in this movie are more than worth it: "One does not wash one's (arm)pits in the pool of scattered tears" still makes me giggle and I saw this movie 2 weeks ago!

Okay, Dreamworks has actually impressed me this time. I admit, going in I was thinking "Jack Black in an animated feature? Sure he's energetic enough but do I really want to sit here for an hour and a half of Jack being...well...Jack?" I was amazed. The only other Jack Black feature I liked was "King Kong" and for that he really reined his personality back. "Panda" however has you laughing along as you follow Po in his so unlikely dream of being a kung fu master.

Unlike "Road to El Dorado" with its off-screen sex scene or "Shrek" with its Lord Farquad boner (among other things), "Panda" manages to get entirely through the film without one wink-wink, nudge-nudge sexual impropriety and frankly, its about time. Finally, a movie that will not have parents thinking "man I hope the kids didn't catch THAT little reference!"

I don't want to give anything away but this one will stick with you....defintely see it in the theater and then rush out to buy it once its available on DVD: you aren't going to get tired of this instant classic.

No comments: