Monday, August 18, 2008

Getting Older

Just realized that I will be 39 in exactly 2 weeks. Where did all the time go? There's just no way I should be that old...I remember when I was 12 doing some mental arithmetic, realized my parents were 32 and thought that my parents were old! I look back now and think of what it would be like to be raising a teenager and just can't imagine how in the world I would do it. Seriously, I would have no idea what to do with a kid. My friends have assured me that its different once you have the kids, that it just works out, but still.......

But I digress. I was talking about me getting older.

39. Wow. Shouldn't I have a mortgage and a 401K plan by now? Its bad enough that it wasn't until earlier this year that I finally decided what I want to be when I grow up! Yes, I have a goal of where I want to be and what I want to be doing by the time I am 45 but this really seems like I am some sort of uber-late bloomer here. Shouldn't I feel old? I don't.

Don't get me wrong, I have my mornings where you have so many kinks in the spine you feel like you'll never get it straight again; that you're doomed to walk around forever hunched over like some demented Quasimodo....but then the kinks usually straighten out and I get on with my day. Other mornings I just roll out of bed ready to roll. No idea why some days are better than others but I have to say I enjoy the second option the best! Regardless of the condition of my spine I still can't shake this feeling that you are only as old as you feel on the inside. Unfortunately the inner child in me still can't wrap her head around the concept of retirement plans and money market accounts....

Luckily I had a pep talk yesterday with one of my elders...he told me it is never too late to get yourself into gear, start over and make something of yourself. Of course he wasn't speaking to just me...it was a talk given by a member of the church...but it still struck a chord.

I guess its true what they say: the only time its too late to make a fresh start is when you are dead.

Don't worry, I'm not dead yet!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I will be 50 in Oct. I wish I was 39 again! Happy B-day in two weeks!!!

Danielle said...

Crazy!! I feel the same, I don't feel like I'm almost 30 (in Dec). And I feel you about the kids thing. When my mom was my age, she had a 10 year old and a 12 year old. I can't even imagine it!!!

Teachinfourth said...

Just don't be dead yet...