Monday, August 25, 2008

A Happy Discovery

Happened for me this weekend. Some of you may be aware that one of my favorite authors is Neil Gaiman (for you who haven't read him....pick up a copy of "Neverwhere" right now!...or "Good Omens" will suffice if you really want to laugh)

I have a local used bookstore, The Book Baron, that I have been stopping by to fill out my Orson Scott Card collection when I noticed that they had a copy of Gaiman's "American Gods" in excellent condition. Now I did not currently own a copy of this book though I had borrowed my mom's copy once upon a time and, while a tad disturbing in spots (as a warning to all the guys out there, don't read the opening prologue unless you want to really be freaked out)I really did enjoy the book...so I grabbed the Book Baron's copy, paid my modest $2.00 fee and brought it home.

And promptly set it on my bookshelf where it sat for the last 2 months.I didn't think much of it, I'd notice it on the shelf from time to time when I'd scan my titles for some fun reading, but I'd always pick up something else....until Saturday.

I grabbed the copy on the way to the bathroom thinking I'd have a bit of a soak in the tub (something I rarely do these days--I know my family will be shocked to hear that) when I opened up the cover and got quite the shock.

I had an autographed copy.

Oh. My. Freaking. Heck.

Autographed...by Neil himself...

I stood there in stunned silence for a moment, screamed a few times on the inside and then lovingly set the book back on the shelf. There was no way that baby was ever coming CLOSE to the bathtub, or the sink, or a beverage glass or even food for that matter.

Funny thing is that Neil is going to Las Vegas in September for a book symposium and has stated that he will be autographing books. I was wishing I didn't hate Vegas so much because it would be fun to meet the guy...but its not worth a trip to Vegas just to stand in line forever for an autograph, even if he is reading from his new book (I have him reading some of his own works on CD so I can pop those in at anytime!)

Now I don't have to....

No comments: