Thursday, April 23, 2009

8 Days...The Big Finale

Bet you thought I'd forgotten to post this, hadn't you?

Nope...not a chance.

Actually I spent some time today thinking about some of the things that make me happy.
Here are just a few of them....by no means is this all-inclusive.

"Here we go again" by Okay Go (aka the treadmill dance) this never fails to put a smile on my face.


Crows (see yesterday's blog)


Alaska has fascinated me for ever since I was 9 or 10 (yes Jason, a book is to blame) and I am excited to be taking a vacation there next year as a graduation present to myself.


Sirius. One wonderful thing about moving to Utah is that my favorite star is visible nearly all year here....in Washington it is visible late winter/early spring only and the sky was usually too cloudy to see it well at all. A few tidbits...Sirius was found to be a double star but some people believe that it may actually be 3 stars. As the brightest "star" in our skies Sirius has the sad placing to be part of the constellation Canis Major leading it to have the lousy nickname "Dog Star". It is also responsible for the phrase "the dog days of summer". In certain conditions you can see that baby in the daytime...now I love the night sky, but Sirius is my favorite. Another one of those weird "don't know why I love it but I do" things.


Cherry and Coke flavored Slurpees (yes you must mix the flavors). Yum!


Family....my sisters especially.


When I was little I saw the Disney cartoon "Cinderella"and fell in love with her blue ballgown. At night I would recite "starlight, starbright" and fervently wish that the dress would be under my bed the next morning. It never was. A few years ago I was at a yard sale with my grandmother and there, in a bin, was a little girl's Cinderella costume. I didn't even have the dime that the dress cost but oh how I wanted it but grandma noticed how much I kept looking at it and then wordlessly added it to her pile. It may have taken years, it certainly wasn't under my bed and it will certainly never fit me but I finally got my dress. I still have it today, currently hanging on my closet door. It still makes me happy every time I see it.


The fact that my favorite band when I was a teenager is still going strong, and still as hot as ever. Seriously, how many people can claim that about bands they loved in the 80's?


Gray, foggy days...torrential downpours...watching lightning flashes in a storm...endless mountain peaks fading into the distance covered with fragrant pines...bird calls...the feel of wool, soft and scratchy at the same time...the color of amber...sunlight sparkling on water...books that you can fall into time and again...the way a certain smell can trigger memories of times long gone...the smell of freshly cut grass...poetry and alliteration...blue jeans and tennis shoes...the joy of getting a fun catalog in the mail, like Sundance or Coldwater Creek...watching the snow drift down when you are safe and snug at home...the art of Maurice Sendak...fairy tales...fall leaves crunching underfoot...pumpkins (both as decoration and to eat)...

This is just a few of the things that make me happy.

No comments: