Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The world's first, unintentional, pirate cat....


Actually you wouldn't be able to tell by just looking at him but Jasper is blind on one side. I thought it was cute how he'd cock his head funny to look at you sometimes, and I'd noticed he'd get so focused on one thing and then freak when something snuck up on the other side, but it wasn't until last night that Annie and I began to suspect anything. Actually she's the one who mentioned it. I was commenting on how that one eyelid was partially closed again and we started talking about how he needs to see the vet for a check-up and shots and then Annie wondered if he had problems seeing out of that eye. Sure enough, several "tests" where I'd hold up a finger to the bad eye just out of the good eye's range brought on zero reaction. Fingers up close to that eye won't have him blink and he shows no recognition there's anything there. Poor thing. It doesn't seem to have slowed him down any...he ricochetes through the room like a bat out of hell and seems to have no problem with depth perception, which tells me he's probably been that way since birth. I will still schedule him an appointment and we can find out more about it, but I will just have to be more careful about which side I approach him from from now on.

No comments: